Going for a walk in the Lake District, enjoying a cream tea in Cornwall and exploring the Scottish Highlands are the top staycation experiences Brits are planning for when travel restrictions ease.
A new study from LNER Trains found that Brits are encouraged by news of a promising Covid-19 vaccine, and as a result are more likely to consider travelling within the next three to six months.
A walking holiday in the Lake District proved the most popular activity, with Brits keen to explore the Great Outdoors and take in the region’s famously beautiful landscapes. (It wasn’t the only walking destination which proved a hit – the Scottish Highlands, Devon and Northumberland all feature on the list too).
Meanwhile, it seems that we’re a nation of foodies, with 7 out of the 20 experiences related to food and drink; cream tea in Cornwall, ice cream on a beach in Brighton, fish and chips in Suffolk, a pint of bitter in Yorkshire, seafood in Padstow, pie and mash in East London and a curry in Birmingham.
Staycations already saw a huge boost in 2020 as travel restrictions saw holidays abroad being cancelled, leading Brits to look for getaways closer to home.
Currently there are travel restrictions in place for Brits around the UK (including a second lockdown in England), but that hasn’t stopped the nation from dreaming of holidays next year.
Check out the top 20 experiences below – and let us know in the comments if you think there’s a key experience that’s been missed off the list!
Top 20 staycation experiences on Brits’ wishlists
- Walking in the Lake District
- Enjoying a cream tea in Cornwall
- Breathing in the fresh air in the Scottish Highlands
- Having a long windy beach walk in Devon
- Catching a show in the West End of London
- Eating ice cream on the beach in Brighton
- Shopping and visiting the Roman Baths in Bath
- Visiting historic York Minster
- Eating fish and chips from the wrapper in Suffolk
- Having a pint of bitter in Yorkshire
- Enjoying the rugged Northumberland coast
- Eating fresh seafood in Padstow
- Buying a souvenir on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh
- Seeing the deer in Richmond park
- Fossil hunting in Lyme Regis
- Having a pie and mash in East London
- Enjoying a curry in Birmingham
- Getting pampered in the Turkish baths, Harrogate
- Climbing to the top of Lincoln cathedral
- Punting down the River Cam
Find out more at lner.co.uk.