Chelsea’s summer transfer window was an exercise in ambition for Roman Abramovich.
The Blues owner sanctioned several big-money deals in a bid to support Frank Lampard’s vision for the club.
This weekend saw their attacking intent on full display as they scored three times against Southampton, largely thanks to a brace from Timo Werner.
Unfortunately, they were forced to share the points after a less than impressive defensive display.
Lampard will be keen to improve that aspect of his side going forward, and one of the easiest ways to do that is via the transfer market.
With that in mind here are the latest transfer rumours for Sunday, October 18.
Milan goalkeeper a free transfer target for Chelsea
Gianluigi Donnarumma remains a transfer target for Chelsea, according to reports.
The Italian international rose to prominence as a teenager with AC Milan, and he is now in the final year of his contract with the club.
Mundo Deportivo are reporting that Chelsea were interested in the shot-stopper this summer and they haven’t given up on signing him.
The Blues added Edouard Mendy to their ranks before the summer transfer window, and although the report states Milan are hopeful the 21-year-old will pen a new deal, Chelsea are waiting in the wings.
Smith explains Barkley loan deal
Dean Smith has revealed how he convinced Chelsea to loan out Ross Barkley to Aston Villa.
The former Everton midfielder was on the fringes of the first-team at Chelsea after the arrival of Kai Havertz and Hakim Ziyech.
And Smith revealed that played a part in the club’s decision to loan him out, with the promise of regular first-team football sealing the deal.
“We’d asked the question earlier in the season,” said Smith. “I know the quality that is involved there and you’re looking at Chelsea who have bought some top quality players into the club.
“They were one of the first movers in the market this year so we just sensed there may be an opportunity to go and get somebody of Ross’s quality out.
“Thankfully, Frank felt that it would help him by coming here and playing games this season.”
Moses took pay cut to leave Chelsea
Victor Moses lowered his salary to seal a loan move to Spartak Moscow, the club’s general director has revealed.
Moses was on the fringes at Stamford Bridge this summer and was looking for a route out of the club as the transfer window neared its end.
He eventually joined Spartak Moscow and Shamil Gazizov has confirmed the player gave up part of his salary in order to play for Russian side.
He told Russian Daily Sport Express : “If we are in the Champions League, we can buy him.
“We can buy him if he plays a certain number of matches. If we get into the Champions League with him, I think there will be no questions.
“The footballer wants to play for Spartak. This is the most important point. And everything else is particular. He did not come here to earn money.
“Yes, [he’s earning less] but only slightly.”
*Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.