Coronavirus: Boris Johnson returning to Downing Street on Monday and is ‘raring to go’

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will return to work in Downing Street on Monday morning after beating coronavirus, a spokeswoman says.

He is said to have told Cabinet colleagues that he is “raring to go”.

If doctors give him the OK, Mr Johnson, 55, could host Monday’s daily briefing in Downing Street and face new Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer for the first time at Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday, Sky News reported.

The Prime Minister – who has been heavily criticised for his handling of the crisis before falling ill – has been recovering and slowly taking on work at Chequers, his country retreat in Buckinghamshire, after being released from hospital.

A Downing Street source told Sky News: “He is ‘raring to go’ and will be back Monday.



Prime Minister Boris Johnson on April 12, the day he got out of hospital

“He had a Chequers meeting with advisers on Friday and he will be meeting the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, and getting back to his normal schedule.”

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has been deputising for Mr Johnson since he was hospitalised.

The Prime Minister’s return comes amid claims of a power struggle inside Cabinet and conflicting opinions over when and how the lockdown should be eased.

It also comes as the Government faces increasing pressure to reveal its lockdown exit strategy.

Sky News’ source said Mr Johnson has been brought up to speed on the work that has been done so far on the next phase of the fight against Covid-19.

He has been holding daily video calls with “key figures”, including Mr Raab and his advisers, in recent days as he prepares to return to Downing Street.

He is understood to have held a three-hour summit meeting with Mr Raab and Chancellor Rishi Sunak on Friday.

He has also had lengthy discussions with Professor Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, and Sir Patrick Vallance, the Government’s chief scientific adviser, Sky News reported.

Read More

Coronavirus outbreak

It was previously revealed that Mr Johnson had spoken to the Queen and US President Donald Trump by phone.

Mr Johnson announced on March 27 that he had tested positive for coronavirus and was self-isolating in Downing Street.

At that time, he said he had suffered mild symptoms, including a fever and cough, but would continue to lead the Government.

He was admitted to St Thomas’ Hospital, a short drive from Downing Street, on April 5 after his symptoms worsened.

He spent three nights in intensive care before returning to a ward.

After a week in hospital he was released on April 12 to continue his recovery at Chequers.

In a video posted on Twitter, he said “the NHS saved my life, no question”.

Last week, a Sunday Times report claimed Mr Johnson had missed five Cobra meetings in January and February, ignored dire warnings from some of the Government’s top advisers, and failed to act fast enough to curb the spread in the UK and save lives.

Downing Street denied the claims.

source.

more recommended stories



LuvNaughty | We're here to get you off The Lazy Days | Procrastinate right Latest Media News | Stay updated with us