Harry Potter fans, get ready for a new dose of staycation inspiration; 11 towns and villages across the UK and Ireland are becoming honorary ‘Quidditch Towns’.
Each town will be given a fictitious Quidditch team, complete with decorative banners and those iconic goal hoops bearing their crest and team name.
A key attraction at each spot – from ancient castles to prehistoric stone circles – will be the setting for the new landmark, while local shops will be provided with special themed activities packs.
The celebrations come as Bloomsbury Publishing releases new book Quidditch Through The Ages Illustrated Edition,written by J.K Rowling and illustrated by Emily Gravett.
So far locations such as Ballycastle Beach in Ballycastle and Pendennis Castle in Falmouth have received the new accolade in socially-distanced mayoral ceremonies, which also saw some young Harry Potter fans coming out for the big moments.
11-year-old Áine Franey from Ballycastle said: “I’m obsessed with Harry Potter and dream of playing Quidditch, so I’m really happy to find out that I now live in an Honorary Quidditch Town. I loved visiting the sign and it’s great that Ballycastle has been honoured in this way.”
Meanwhile, at Falmouth’s ceremony, Town Mayor Councillor Steve Eva of Falmouth said: “We’re delighted to be recognised as an Honorary Quidditch Town.
“Harry Potter’s favourite sport Quidditch brings joy to children and adults across the world, and this decorative banner, emblazoned with the town’s team colours, shows our support for our beloved Quidditch team.”
You can check out the full list of destinations below – but make sure to check for any local restrictions at each town or village, due to the pandemic.
11 Quidditch Towns in the UK and Ireland
- Appleby (Appleby Arrows)
- Ballycastle (Ballycastle Bats)
- Caerphilly (Caerphilly Catapults)
- Falmouth (Falmouth Falcons)
- Holyhead (Holyhead Harpies)
- Kenmare (Kenmare Kestrels)
- Montrose (Montrose Magpies)
- Portree (Pride of Portree)
- Tutshill (Tutshill Tornados)
- Wigtown (Wigtown Wanderers)
- Wimborne (Wimborne Wasps)
You can find out more about each Honorary Quidditch Town and its banners on the Wizarding World website.
- Quidditch Through The Ages Illustrated Edition will be released on the 6th October 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing, in aid of Comic Relief and Lumos. Hardback edition £25, Deluxe edition also available for £120.