• Trade talks between the United States and the European Union are off to a rocky start, with the two sides clashing over what should be on the table in the first place.
• Kirstjen Nielsen, the Homeland Security secretary, implored Congress to confront what she called a “humanitarian catastrophe” on the southern border by supporting the call for a border wall and changing laws to crack down on asylum seekers and illegal border crossings.
• Supreme Court justices are getting expert assistance from a group of hip-hop stars who filed a brief on Wednesday urging the court to hear a rapper’s First Amendment challenge to his conviction for threatening police officers in a song.
• The House Oversight and Reform Committee is investigating allegations of voter suppression in Georgia under Secretary of State Brian Kemp, who has since become governor.
• Melania Trump, the first lady, went on a glossy tour of three different states this week to promote her anti-bullying initiative, “Be Best.” But unwelcome questions followed her along the way.
Today’s On Politics briefing was compiled by Isabella Grullón Paz in New York.
Were you forwarded this newsletter? Subscribe here to get it delivered to your inbox.
Is there anything you think we’re missing? Anything you want to see more of? We’d love to hear from you. Email us at [email protected].