Two towns just three miles apart in north-west Spain went back in lockdown on Sunday, following a new outbreak of coronavirus.
At least 49 people have tested positive following an outbreak at a slaughterhouse.
Now around 10,000 residents in Iscar and Pedrajas de San Esteban, in Valladolid, must remain in their homes unless they have to go outside for an ‘unavoidable’ reason.
Travel will be allowed between the towns but residents are not allowed to leave otherwise.
Citizens face tough fines after officials warned that some people had not been taking the rules on face masks and social distancing seriously enough.
Extra police patrols are being drafted in, as well as a helicopter to ensure the new rules are followed.
The outbreak started after a worker at a local slaughterhouse fell ill and was tested positive.
Trackers traced numerous contacts, including other employees who had travelled in the same car, family members and friends and other people with whom they had mixed.
So far, 22 of the 49 positive cases work at the slaughterhouse.
The health authority says 57 per cent of the people who have tested positive are asymptomatic and others have mild symptoms.
The outcome of another 40 tests is awaited.
Pedrajas de San Esteban council confirmed the measures, which includes a ban on visits to nursing homes, were necessary due to fears that the outbreak will continue to spread.
The new lockdown will remain in for 14 days and police have been drafted into to make sure the new regulations are adhered to and that masks are worn.
Residents will be allowed out for a walk and hotels and shops have been kept open but no one is being allowed to leave the two towns although travel will be allowed between them.
Firefighters will be taking to the streets to disinfect road and buildings.
The local council has appealed for responsibility with the mayors of both towns issuing personal messages.
In a statement, Iscar council said: “We are saddened and surprised that citizens, despite the alarming situation that we are suffering are ignoring the warnings and regulations that they have to comply with, skipping isolations and mandatory quarantines due to positive coronavirus readings or have had contact with positives.”
“It has been ruled that those who fail to comply with established norms and protocols will be severely punished for the seriousness of the situation.”
Brits have been warned that there is no “risk free” travel this summer – with more countries possibly being removed from the ‘safe list’.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office initially advised again against “all but essential travel” to mainland Spain only, but on July 27 it extended this advice to cover the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands too.
It comes as Boris Johnson has warned there are signs of a “second wave” of coronavirus in Europe.
Speaking during a visit to Nottingham last week, the PM said: “What we have to do is take swift and decisive action where we think that the risks are starting to bubble up again.
“Let’s be absolutely clear about what’s happening in Europe, amongst some of our European friends, I’m afraid you are starting to see in some places the signs of a second wave of the pandemic.”