Spain’s tourism minister Reyes Maroto has claimed that the UK government could lift its quarantine on travellers returning from the Balearic and Canary islands today.
In an interview with La Sexta television, Maroto claimed taht her government had sent new data, which she hopes would prompt the British government to drop its quarantine measures.
The minister said she was convinced that quarantine measures will be lifted very soon.
She told La Sexta : “It is a decision of the British authorities, but we have given them all the arguments so that they can trust that their tourists are safe in Spanish destinations.
“If it is not the decision we expect, we will continue working with them.
“For us, the best news is to have the destination open with the United Kingdom, which is our main issuing market.
“We have the best protocols and are highly valued by the tourists themselves, who have transferred to their government that they feel safe in Spain.”
But a UK government source said there were no current plans to change quarantine for travellers from Spain and no change will happen today.
While quarantine measures are reviewed regularly as routine, the source told the Mirror: “There is no decision made and it’s certainly not happening in the immediate future.”
They stressed again there was no decision at all on whether to change quarantine rules and added: “It’s not going to happen today.”
Brits jetting overseas to mainland Spain or the Canary and Balearic Islands must self-isolate for 14 days upon return.
Initially holidaymakers could still visit the islands, which includes popular destinations Majorca, Tenerife and Lanzarote but the Foreign Office later advised against non-essential travel there too.
The popular holiday destination now has 109,701 active coronavirus infections – with 3,092 recorded on Friday, the biggest jump since the country ended lockdown.
Earlier today, President of the Canaries said he was confident that the government would axe the rule for the islands, which has a much lower rate of infection.
Officials have issued the claims as estimates show that Spain’s tourism sector faces a £65billion hit this summer as the new travel ban damages the economy further.
It comes as Boris Johnson has warned there are signs of a “second wave” of coronavirus in Europe.
Speaking during a visit to Nottingham last week, the PM said: “What we have to do is take swift and decisive action where we think that the risks are starting to bubble up again.
“Let’s be absolutely clear about what’s happening in Europe, amongst some of our European friends, I’m afraid you are starting to see in some places the signs of a second wave of the pandemic.”