When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- After months of quarantining at home, I finally felt ready for my first getaway and chose the scenic mountains of Aspen, Colorado for fresh air, outdoor adventures, and ease of social distancing.
- As advised by experts, I paid close attention to new COVID-19 measures being implemented and chose to spend four nights at The Gant.
- Their condo-style accommodations include full kitchens, laundry, and comprehensive protocols for COVID-19 cleanliness and social distancing.
- I stayed in a spacious two-bedroom Standard Aspen Condo, comped for review purposes, but which starts at $215 per night in the summer and fall. One-bedroom condos start as low as $199.
- Read more: Is it safe to stay in a hotel right now? An infectious disease doctor, a cleaning expert, and hotel reps all share what you should know before you check-in.
As a professional travel and lifestyle writer, the pandemic hit me hard. While I’ve been incredibly cautious about travel, after four months of lockdown at home, a trip to the mountains was enough to entice me to get on a plane.
And while I typically tend to take international trips, after being cooped up for so long, a getaway to Aspen seemed as exotic and exciting as going to Europe. After reading up on whether flying was safe, I felt confident enough to travel by plane from New York to Aspen, armed with plenty of masks and hand sanitizer.
However, I also wanted to make sure that once I arrived, the resort I would be staying in would have COVID-19 policies in place.
The Gant set itself apart thanks to its location, condo-style rooms with full kitchens, and new COVID-19 policies. Located at the base of Aspen Mountain, The Gant is optimally located in downtown Aspen and surrounded by the White River National Forest and the verdant Elk Mountain Range. It’s tucked away near residential, single-family homes and condos, yet is still within easy walking distance to popular attractions, including the Silver Queen Gondola, which in the summer and fall allows access to disc golf, hiking trails, and mountaintop yoga. Additionally, at the top of The Gant’s homepage, they had an easy-to-find COVID-19 update, which outlined everything from cleanliness initiatives to cancellation policies.
In addition to its stunning setting, the property itself has plenty of amenities to keep guests busy, including a pool, multiple hot tubs, complimentary bikes, and a complimentary shuttle to and from the mountain for easy access to all the outdoor offerings, of which there are many. Aspen is a destination for year-round recreation, including mountain biking, hiking, mountaintop meditation, and water sports in the summer months. Of course, skiing and snowboarding Aspen Mountain are ever-popular activities in the winter.
And while my stay in a Standard Aspen Condo was comped for review purposes, the starting rate of a one-bedroom for $199 per night makes the 140-room condo resort far more wallet-friendly than many more expensive options in town.
My pickiness paid off. I ended up feeling very safe throughout my stay, and was able to take full advantage of the outdoor setting. Here’s what it was like.